Chermoula Chicken with Fiery Chickpeas
This high-protein meal is sensational, both in flavor and for its benefits. Made with fresh herbs, lemon, tomatoes & blend of chile peppers, our Chermoula Chicken is destined to be one of your favorite meals. Fact!
Chermoula is a traditional marinade of Algerian, Libyan, Moroccan, and Tunisian cuisines. Here we use some to marinate the meat, then toss the remaining herbs with the chickpeas to kick up the flavor before serving.
Why is this recipe awesome for weight loss? A recent study revealed a direct correlation between chickpeas and appetite. Participants who regularly consumed chickpeas ate fewer snacks and less food overall.
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can chickpeas (or 2 cups prepared chickpeas)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes including juice (or chop 2 large ripe tomatoes – save juice)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more or less to taste)
- ¼ cup sliced green olives (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup cilantro, minced (about a handful before mincing)
- ¼ cup parsley, minced (about a handful before mincing)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts, chicken quarters, or 2 Cornish game hens (halved)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Combine all ingredients for Fiery Chickpeas and spread into a 9” X 13” glass baking dish.
- Next combine the remaining ingredients to make the chermoula (excluding the chicken). Divide in half and refrigerate one half to use after roasting.
- Rinse the chicken, remove excess fat, and pat dry.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with chermoula including under the skin. Cook immediately or marinate in the refrigerator for an hour for maximum flavor.
- Place the chicken directly onto the chickpeas and roast until the skin is golden brown and juices run clear – 45-60 minutes (confirm internal temperature is at least 165°F at it's thickest area with a kitchen thermometer ).
- Transfer the cooked chicken onto a clean plate.
- Stir the reserved chermoula into the roasted chickpeas.
- Onto four plates, portion a quarter of the chickpeas and one chicken portion.
Citrus Zester / Cheese Grater http://amzn.to/1TZ7wtV
Instant Read Kitchen Thermometer http://amzn.to/1UoKLK5
Belazu Chermoula – 170g http://amzn.to/28W5UhP
Olives, Lemons & Za’atar: The Best Middle Eastern Home Cooking
Thank you for browsing! Affiliate purchases help support our mission to provide free Mediterranean Diet Weight Loss recipes. A percentage of your purchase goes toward webmaster fees, the cost of ingredients, and other expenses involved in producing and marketing the free recipes and information on this website.