This soup has so much to love. It’s simple, satisfying, and clear soup can help you to lose weight too! Take your time to develop a flavorful stock right from the start. Then stir in the kale, artichokes and white beans for abundant nutrients that will propel you through your day despite cutting calories.
Why This Soup Recipe Is Great For Weight Loss
Food with high water content has low calorie density. The protein and fiber in this soup are filling too and that’s half the battle!
Low in calories, high in fiber, kale contains fiber, magnesium and potassium. It helps with digestion, regularity, blood pressure, cholesterol, and overall heart health.
Artichokes contain a compound called cynarin that is believed boost weight loss. They’re also low in calories and high in fiber.
Finally, beans are loaded with protein. In a study, participants who exercised and ate a low-calorie diet high in protein lost more fat and less muscle than participants who ate a similar diet high in carbohydrates.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (or whatever healthy oil you prefer to cook with)
- ½ yellow onion (diced)
- 1 celery stalk (diced – Use some of the chopped inner leaves too. They're bursting with celery flavor!)
- dash sea salt
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 black peppercorns (crushed with the blade of your chefs knife)
- ½ cup white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans white beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts
- 1 bunch black kale or other greens (washed and chopped)
- Add the oil, onions, and celery to a soup pot. Sprinkle with a good pinch of sea salt. Cover with a lid and sweat the vegetables for 15 minutes over medium heat to bring out their flavor. Stir occasionally and lower the heat if the aromatic ingredients look as if they're starting to burn.
- Remove the lid and stir in the garlic and crushed peppercorns.
- Pour in the white wine and swirl it around to deglaze the pan. Simmer to reduce by half.
- Pour in the chicken stock, beans, artichokes and kale. Bring to a boil. Cover with the lid and lower the heat to simmer for 25 minutes.
- Taste the soup (careful, it's hot!). Add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy! It's even better the next day.
Thank you for browsing! Affiliate purchases help support our mission to provide free Mediterranean Diet Weight Loss recipes. A percentage of your purchase goes toward webmaster fees, the cost of ingredients, and other expenses involved in producing and marketing the free recipes and information on this website.